Distance : 7km
Redi Fort was built by the Marathas in the sixteenth century and was later captured by the Portuguese in 1746. The previous citadel holders, the Sawant clan of Maharashtra, were desperate to regain the fort because of its valuable strategic position on the coast. An attempt to recapture Redi fort was preceded by poisoning the Portuguese garrison’s fish supply, but the attack was unsuccessful.
The fort was eventually returned to the Sawants following a peace treaty, but the success was short lived – in 1765 the fort was captured by the British who later sold the land to local people in 1890 while retaining ownership of the fort walls.